Digital Marketing Recruiters – How to Get Into a Digital Marketing Career
Considering more and more of the world goes digital every day, it should be no surprise that digital marketing professionals are in very high demand. Companies rely on digital marketers to help them take advantage of all the opportunities digital spaces offer, stay up to date on the changes made to existing communication channels, and learn about all the new channels that become available. A career in the industry is full of opportunities as you learn more about different industries, develop new skills, and learn new strategies for different online platforms. And because digital marketing is essential for all businesses and organizations in today’s increasingly digital world, the field itself has very high job security. If you find the right agency or in-house position, you could have a very successful career for years!
It’s clear that a career in digital marketing is a smart choice, but how do you get into the industry? The good news is you might not even need a degree in marketing or any certifications to get started. Here, we’ll be covering the basics of digital marketing, the common positions, and more so you can determine if a career in digital marketing is right for you.
What is digital marketing?
“Digital marketing” is an umbrella term that refers to the online promotion of brands, products, people, or services and the strategies that are used to identify, build, and target audiences. Some of the most popular types of digital marketing include search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), social media ads (SMA), email marketing, influencer marketing, and content marketing. Thus, there are a wide variety of different roles and positions.
Rather than trying to master everything, most digital marketers evolve to specialize almost exclusively on just one or two of these more niche categories that are interesting to them or fit their skillset better. Here are just a few of the titles you can expect to encounter in the digital marketing field:
- Content strategist
- SEO account manager
- Paid ads manager
- Digital marketing manager
- Content writer/copywriter
- Social media coordinator
- Email marketing manager
- Digital marketing strategist
How do you know if digital marketing is the right field for you?
Before you start your job search or contact us to learn about the opportunities we have available, there are a few things you need to consider to ensure you’re making the right decision for you. Just like traditional forms of marketing, digital marketing requires an outgoing personality and great communication skills. Being able to build a trusting relationship with your clients is important, and you will also need to communicate with other professionals who are working on the same account to ensure your efforts work in conjunction with one another. While you don’t need a certification or degree in digital marketing to be considered for certain roles, you should be familiar with the digital space in general along with the different platforms and have your own online presence.
Tips for getting a job in digital marketing
When you know a career in digital marketing is right for you, there are a few skills you should learn before applying to grow your knowledge and increases your chances of getting hired.
- Expand your online presence: Most companies and recruiting agencies look up their applicants online prior to an interview, and this is especially true of those in the digital marketing industry. In addition to updating your social media accounts, especially platforms like Indeed and LinkedIn, consider creating a blog or your own website to help build your skills and demonstrate them.
- Highlight creativity and experience in your resume: Although data informs a lot of what you’ll be doing as a digital marketer, there is still plenty of room for creativity. In addition to highlighting any relevant experience you have, be sure to emphasize your creative skills.
- Understand the latest trends: Studying digital marketing trends will help your campaigns be more successful, and sharing your knowledge of industry trends can set you apart from other candidates.
- Continue to improve and expand your skillset: With changing algorithms and trends that come and go, you’ll always be learning as a digital marketer. Lean into this and do your best to learn new skills and refine those you already have. Showing a passion for learning will also better your chances of getting hired.
Convinced that you’ll love working in the digital marketing industry? Let us help! Digital Marketing Recruiters can help you find the right fit in a position that matches your skillset with a company whose values, culture, and goals align with yours. Apply today!